2022 Virginia Cavaliers

Phall

Master
Virginia has started 4, 8, 8, 8, 9, 8, 10, 9 whites from 2005-2012 and 7, 9, 7, 6, 6, 6, 7, and 4 whites from 2014-2021 (we missed the writeup in 2013). In 2022, they are projected to start 7.

New coach Tony Elliot, who is black, fills in at coach after the surprise departure of Bronco Mendenhall. Elliot spent eleven years as an assistant with Clemson, but has only one year experience as a full-time offensive coordinator. It would be fair to say that his race helped land him this opportunity, although he got his undergraduate degree from Clemson in industrial engineering while playing wide receiver, so he’s not dumb. He’s also fairly young at age 42, so he could parlay a few good seasons into a higher-tier head coaching position.

At quarterback, Brennan Armstrong was an unexpected NCAA stat leader until he got dinged up and missed a few games at the end of last season. He will be a three-time team captain this year and is on the preseason Maxwell Award watch list. At 6’2, my 10-cent scouting report is that he is mobile, can throw the ball a mile, but is not necessarily the most accurate. He didn’t get much NFL buzz last year despite his stats (he holds eight individual UVa records and is in the top 3 for five more). Another strong season should see him drafted late at the very least.

Virginia will probably start a snowplow offensive line, up from last year’s 2/5 white starter ratio. The o-line will have five new starters, so there could be growing pains early on. The key piece is RT Jonathan Leech, who rotated in last year and will protect left-handed Brennan Armstrong’s blind side.

Grant Misch inherits the TE role as last year’s top backup, and Sackett Wood Jr. will spell him. Virginia is bereft of any white “skill position” players on the Ourlads two-deep.

Josh Clifford was on Virginia's high school first-team all-state as defensive back in 2017. He was moved to wide receiver at UVa and has appeared in just six games the past two seasons after not playing at all his first two years on campus. While he has eligibility for next season due to the covid year, he’s not even on this season’s depth chart as a fifth-year player and realistically may not be invited back in 2023. I wonder if he feels he wasted his career by signing with his local state school. Clifford’s older brothers opted to play D2 football.

On defense, Jack Camper will try to return to form after missing most of last season with injury. Josh Ahern was a backup last year who will hopefully see his role increased somewhat.

Virginia has a robust group of white walk-ons who will not see the field. Despite their “uptick” this season, they really show no signs of breaking any caste trends.

Starters:
QB: Brennan Armstrong
OT: Jonathan Leech, Logan Taylor
OG: Noah Josey, Derek Devine
C: Ty Furnish
TE: Grant Misch

Backups to Watch:
QB: Jared Rayman (3rd string)
TE: Sackett Wood Jr., Mike Kosar
OL: Charlie Patterson
WR: Josh Clifford

EDGE: Jack Camper
LB: Josh Ahern

Last edited:

Carolina Speed

Hall of Famer
New coach Tony Elliot, who is black, fills in at coach after the surprise departure of Bronco Mendenhall. Elliot spent eleven years as an assistant with Clemson, but has only one year experience as a full-time offensive coordinator. It would be fair to say that his race helped land him this opportunity, although he got his undergraduate degree from Clemson in industrial engineering while playing wide receiver, so he’s not dumb. He’s also fairly young at age 42, so he could parlay a few good seasons into a higher-tier head coaching position.

Tony Elliot was the RB's coach when my son was being recruited by Clemson. I found him to be very fair. My son went to the top prospect camp. There were 12 RB's and only one white one, my son. He was in the 'D' group at the beginning of camp. Which meant the bottom tier, somewhere between 10-12 on the board. By the end of camp, Elliot had moved my son up to the 'A' group and into the top 3-4 on the board. Hopefully, he remains fair to the white players.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I forgot about Armstrong. He’s actually the best QB in the ACC over Van Dyke. He’s also the catalyst for the UVA offense rather than a plug and play system QB like the quotas for Alabama and Ohio state.

Phall

Master
Tony Elliot was the RB's coach when my son was being recruited by Clemson. I found him to be very fair. My son went to the top prospect camp. There were 12 RB's and only one white one, my son. He was in the 'D' group at the beginning of camp. Which meant the bottom tier, somewhere between 10-12 on the board. By the end of camp, Elliot had moved my son up to the 'A' group and into the top 3-4 on the board. Hopefully, he remains fair to the white players.

Cool tidbit and good to know about Elliot. Let's hope that's still the case on the big stage. Some posters here have suggested that black coaches can often end up being more fair to white athletes because they do not have to tow the company line on anti-white racism. I'll keep tabs on whether Elliot can unearth any gems on the recruiting trail.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Regardless of any racial fairness in recruiting, Tony Elliot is off to a pretty lousy start as a head coach. Has any player been ruined more than Brennan Armstrong this year? This kid was routinely throwing for 400 yards/game under Bronco Mendenhall. At this point, he'll be lucky to get a camp invite.

Elliot was handed a well oiled offensive machine and ran it right into the ground. I don’t think Armstrong somehow got worse at football. I do agree that his stock is shot now. Don’t worry though the senior bowl has invited two black UVA players to participate in the game.

If Armstrong has an extra year of eligibility I would hope he transfers out.

Bucky

Hall of Famer
Armstrong went from at least mid round pick with potential to move up, to UDFA under Elliot.