2019 Top Ten

Shadowlight

Master
Have a pocket of time and just felt like putting this up. Obviously this list doesn't represent this site but is just a personal list. In ascending order:

10-The Nationals winning the World Series. There is really only one major reason I was pulling for them and that was SS Trea Turner. Turner helped turn their season around after coming off the disabled list. One of the three or four fastest players in the league, Turner was a sparkplug lead off hitter who played excellent defense. While he didn't set the world on fire in the playoffs, he still played steady defense and anytime a champ in any sport features a deluxe caste buster like Turner it can only be a good thing.

9-Brett Gardner. I have been following the tough and gritty Brett since he broke in with the Yankees in 2008. I get all the Yankee games on TV and while not a top tier star I have always been a huge fan of this speedster OF. His blistering speed pulled me in and even at 36 he still has tremendous wheels. Brett came through this season with a season high in Home Runs with 28 and RBIs with 74. And unlike most seasons he didn't wilt towards the end of the season. He was rewarded a one year renewal contract with a second year option. Very nice.

8-Women's World Championship High Jump. Beating out media darling and Randall Cunningham's daughter, winner Mariya Lasitskene and Silver medalist Yaroslava Mahuchikh grabbed the title of greatest leapers in the world. For me only the 100M and 200M dash are more important Track and Field events.

7-USA Women's World Cup champs. Little white suburban girls across the nation found inspiration in this mainly white squad who will go down as one of the greatest in the history of women's soccer. While Zach Etrz's wife Julie was the sublime rock throughout my favorite cute MF Rose Lavelle ( Irish looking) was a human highlight reel. Her goal in the championship against the Netherlands is one for the ages.

6-2019 Wide Receivers chosen in the NFL draft. This is tainted because when David Sills wasn't drafted it casted a pall on the entire proceedings. Still it was a thrill to see Andy Isabella chosen in the third round. And Hunter Renfrow went a little earlier than anticipated in the fifth round. The real shock was Scott Miller being drafted. I banged the hard drum for him and it was fulfilling to see it come to fruition. White wide receivers being drafted might take on a whole new significance because sadly we might not see it happen again for at least a while.

5-Virginia winning the College Basketball Championships. The team that suffered the humiliating first round loss as a number one seed the year before bounced back in the biggest way. One of my favorite college players G Kyle Guy came through with flying colors as Virginia worked their way around heart stopping games to finally win it all. And I also felt relief for HC Tony Bennett one of the sports good guys.

4-Yale-Harvard. In the most spine tingling game of the year with all sorts of stuff surrounding it including a time clogging half time protest featuring actor Sam Waterson among students from both schools, Yale had the conference championship on the line and came through in overtime. Wide receivers Reed Klubnik and JP Shohfi proved once again to be a dynamic duo and CF favorite RB Zane Dudek manned the backfield scoring a key late touchdown. Battling encroaching darkness a Yale player was asked what would have happened if it became too dark ( there are no lights at Yale) he said they would have continued to play. You don't stop a Yale Harvard game. One for the ages.

3-Mike Trout and Cody Bellinger. Bellinger bounced back from a down year and while he cooled off his blistering start was something to behold. A gifted athlete who can do everything at a top tier level Bellinger jumped into center stage and was rightfully rewarded with an NL MVP trophy. With Roger Federer slowly fading after years of dominance it was time for me to change over to a new favorite athlete and Mike Trout was an easy choice. The AL MVP winner in my mind is the greatest athlete in the world right now. The thrill of watching him get the fat of the bat on the ball and launch a home run is one of the greatest sights in all of sports. A humble and great person with old fashioned values Trout didn't ditch his loyal Angels fan base and signed a record long term deal. Trout gives jocks a good name.

2-The Patriots winning the Super Bowl. This never gets old. WR Julian Edelman won the MVP trophy and in my mind pretty much sealed his Hall Of Fame status. He could not be covered. RB Rex Burkhead played his part too down the stretch when it counted. Another cleansing moment.

1-Simona Halep winning Wimbledon. Sure she is flawed but this cutie pie is my favorite female player and to say she was in the zone here is an understatement. Showing phenomenal speed and all around court savvy and command she took apart Serena in what has to be Serena's biggest drubbing yet at a Major final. At the grandest stage in tennis, Halep displayed the kind of otherworldly athleticism that so many in the media only associate with black athletes ( see Coco Gauff). It was also a great statement from Simona who wasn't having one of her better years but gave her a second grand Slam title legitimizing her status as one of the game's top players. Her child like wonder as they paraded her around the halls of Wimbledon was one of the more refreshing innocent moments in sports this year.

Last edited: