2012 Arkansas State Red Wolves

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Since 2006, the (former) Indians have started 7, 8, 7, 6, 6, and 7 white players. Things don't look to change much in Jonesboro this year, other than Derek Lawson (the RB who Hugh Freeze screwed over for years) is gone. It will be interesting to see what QB Ryan Aplin and WR Taylor Stockemer do this year, especially with new head man Gus Malzahn running the show. I think the Indians are one of the whitest teams in the very black Sun Belt again this year, which has no team even CLOSE to 10 white starters at all from the previews so far.

Some white Indians who could see some playing time this year are QB Phillip Butterfield, LG Alan Wright, C Tyler Greve, and RG Jake Campbell. I think this team is going to be darker in the future, as with a LOT of other teams around the country.

Offense
QB- Ryan Aplin
WR- Taylor Stockemer
LT- Kevin Galindo
RG- Cliff Mitchell
RT- Zack McKnight

Defense
DE- Timothy Starson
WLB- Nathan Herrold

Vanilla_Sky

Mentor
The Red Wolves had a very, very dark 2012 recruiting class. Hopefully, there 2013 is better. WR Drew Morgan and DT Logan Cart are their only white signees so far.

TwentyTwo

Master
QB Ryan Aplin is fun to watch; has moxie; runs in the 4.6's; should be at least a late-round pick in NFL Draft. His favorite WR Tyler Stockemer is a big target between 6'-3" & 6'-4" 210...had 11 receptions for 185 yards & TD in bowl game last year! Enters his Sr. season w/ 13 career TD's...7 last year; 5 his soph. year.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
a former 5-star recruit and MVP as a freshman in Auburn's victory over Oregon in the 2011 national championship game, running back Michael Dyer has been kicked off the Arkansas State team without ever playing a snap.

head coach Gus Malzahn dismissed the tailback after having already given him a second chance by inviting him to play for the Red Wolves after Dyer left Auburn in January, where he'd been suspended indefinitely by their head coach for his repeated bad behavior.

Dyer was stopped for going 96 mph in a 70 mph zone, then discovered to have a handgun sitting on the passenger seat as well as marijuana in the car.

additionally, the cop who made the stop is in trouble for trying to cover up the more serious charges ... in an effort to help Dyer stay out of trouble. :doh: http://www.faniq.com/blog/Arkansas-...part-in-Michael-Dyers-March-arrest-Blog-52980

when will people learn that nothing good comes from trying to help thug affletes?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
when will people learn that nothing good comes from trying to help thug affletes?

Unfortunately I don't think that's true. Look at the Auburn team that guy came from. There are plenty of good things that come from recruiting thugs. Coaches know that big contracts come from recruiting the 4 and 5 star thugs that are sought after by every school in the country. I imaging coaches feel it is more like a "lottery". The thugs on every team are going to get into trouble, the trick is to manage it to the point the program can still win and not get into too much trouble or get the coach fired. Nothing I have seen is enough of a negative incentive to NOT go after those guys.

Riddlewire

Master
I know a couple of kids who went to high school with Dyer. They and everyone else I've ever heard from at LRCA (the private school that imported him) say he was a complete fraud. The school/teachers greased his path so that he could play football for them. He was a terrible person, filled with self-love. He wasn't even that great of a high school runningback. Malzahn's offensive brilliance gave him inflated stats while in college. He literally has no redeeming qualities.
And yet I bet the NFL will still draft him.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
He literally has no redeeming qualities. And yet I bet the NFL will still draft him.

it's funny you mention that, Riddlewire. i saw a short discussion of this by some of the jocksniffers on ESPN, and they were talking about how the NFL doesn't care about stuff like this, and that if he just plays somewhere (even Division II) and shows that he is in shape, he'll still get drafted and play in the League.

the NFL truly will excuse any offense ... except for being fast while White, of course.

in somewhat related news, Malzahn reportedly has commitments from 12 players in the class of 2013, five of whome are White:

o-lineman Brennan Tutor from Iawamba Junior College
tight end Jonah Hill from Hillcrest High (MO)
middle linebacker Garrett Kaufman from Bentonville High (AR)
athlete Drew Morgan from Greenwood High (AR) - listed as a wide receiver
defensive tackle Logan Cart from Owensboro Catholic High (KY)

Last edited:

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
if suggestions (read that as rumors) out of Jonesboro are true, expect a big year out of quarterback-to-wide receiver combination Ryan Aplin-to-Taylor Stockemer.