2012 Arkansas Razorbacks

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here are your starting white Razorbacks for 2012. Since 2006, Arkansas has started 6, 7, 5, 7, 5, and 5 white starters. If two the two white OL beat out the black incumbents, then the Razorbacks will be at 7 white starters again, which is probably going to be the whitest non Vanderbilt SEC squad. Like Colonel Reb said in the Auburn thread about the Tigers, the Razorbacks will magically be one of the whiter teams in the SEC now, due to just maintaining their 5-7 white starters. Ross Rasner looks to be the lucky one white starter on the Hog D this year.

Some white Razorbacks to look for are QB Brandon Allen, FB Morgan Linton, TE Austin Tate, LT Austin Beck, C/RG Mitch Smothers, OLB Austin Jones, and SS Houston Pruitt. I guess Arkansas would be my non Vanderbilt pick to cheer for in the SEC, if they start that all white line.

Offense
QB- Tyler Wilson
LT- Brey Cook
LG- Luke Carpentier - in a fight for the position.
C- Travis Swanson
RG- Tyler Deacon
RT- David Hurd - in a fight for the position.

Defense
FS- Ross Rasner

TwentyTwo

Master
Ross Rasner is a "hybrid" LB/S at 6'-0 212...has good speed (legit 4.5's) running side-by-side with SEC RB's...hopefully he has his mind right! He is a leader-type!

West-coast JUCO-Transfer Austin "Mad Man" Flynn(compared to Jared Allen) could be starting by mid-season if not sooner..his freakish measurables at 6'-5" 255 & 4.5-4.6 range in the 40! He can be more than adequate replacement for NFL-bound Bequette! Imagine those two on same D-Line!

img

Also expect true freshman LB Vin Ascolese from New Jersey to make some noise!

It would be a bit of a suprise to see Arkansas with an all-white O-Line...bec Guard-Alvin Bailey had recieved SEC Honors in the past...still 4 out of 5 ain't bad like LSU last year!

Last edited:

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Thanks TwentyTwo! I'll note that. Wouldn't it be nice to see two white defensive starters on a non-Vandy SEC team?? Flynn looks like a beast.

Also, I think Baily will start, but Arkansas' Rivals' depth chart has Luke Carpentier on top with Baily as 2nd string.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
there is at least a tiny bit of good news coming out of Arkansas' football program ... new head coach John L. Smith has apparently kicked four players off the team.

receivers Marquel Wade and Maudrecus Humphrey, and tight end Andrew Peterson have been suspended since May arrests for felony charges of residential burglary. linebacker Tyler Gilbert has been suspended since April after being arrested on felony charges of aggravated burglary and theft of property.

all four of the players are black.

Vanilla_Sky

Mentor
[video=youtube;yziMVn0TGSw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yziMVn0TGSw[/video]

No surprise Marquel Wade was among those kicked off...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
JC, thanks for posting that good news!. Thanks for posting that video, Vanila_Sky. What a punk.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
OMG.......:icon_lol: That has to be the worst foul beside maybe the Jim McMahon cheap shot that I have ever seen. I hope he was suspended for a few games by the SEC commissioner. By the way here is the Mcmahon cheap shot.......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB9sAEYod8M

Oh yes, I remember watching that game and play during a family Thanksgiving gathering. My Dad was railing on what a 2 bit punk Martin was.

Riddlewire

Master
LB Vin Ascolese did not attain academic eligibility and will not be on campus this Fall. They expect him to enroll in January.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Ross Rasner

i've mentioned him numerous times throughout the season on the game week threads, but i've not posted about him on this thread.

senior safety Ross Rasner has emerged as the Razorbacks' top defensive player. and it's not even close. what's "weird" is that despite possibly being Arkansas' best cover man (he routinely covers the opposing slot receiver man-to-man), the 6-foot, 212-pound defensive back has spent the majority of his career at Arkansas as a linebacker/special teams demon.

at any rate, Rasner shows the ability to make game-changing plays both in the running game as a physical headhunter and an eraser in the secondary as a ballhawk. in his most recent game, he had an interception, a pass break-up, and a sack while once again leading the Hogs in solo tackles (5) and total tackles (10). it was a completely dominant performance.

on the season, Rasner leads the Razorbacks in solo tackles (33), total tackles (61), interceptions (3), is tied for the team lead in forced fumbles (2) and pass break-ups (4), is third on the team with 5.5 tackles-for-loss, and he has 2 sacks. the man is a complete player. oh, and he is one of the fastest athletes on the team.

with his total package of physical prowess and on-field performance, you just have to wonder why he's been a back-up for most of his career ...

rossrasner.jpg

Ross Rasner: game-changer

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Rasner had another impressive game in another Razorbacks loss. he once again led the Hogs with 6 solo tackles (7 total), had 1 tackle-for-loss, and had 1 pass breakup. he is a terrific player on an otherwise mostly-inept (and completely black, sans backup end Austin Flynn) defensive unit.

Highlander

Mentor
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the surprising news of Wisconsin head coach, Bret Bielema, leaving Wisconsin to become the head coach at Arkansas.

From a Caste perspective, I honestly don't think much will change at Arkansas, although I don't think he'll be completely dismissive of White players like the Caste whore coaches before him for the past 25 years or so there. So, there may be a slight uptick in White talent on the team.

At the very least, there will probably be a positive cultural change as he's tough and probably won't take too much crap from the so-called "student-athletes" (read: street thugs) they have playing their now. I doubt it's going to be an "inmates running the asylum" situation like so many other programs these days. Only time will tell, I guess.

On the flip side, it will be interesting to see who Wisconsin hires.

Riddlewire

Master
It's the conference, not the coach.

Bielema will get in the SEC and instantly begin to mimic typical SEC recruiting patterns. Nothing will change at Arkansas except the style of football they play. The demographics will remain the same, though.
Just my opinion.

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
It's the conference, not the coach.

Bielema will get in the SEC and instantly begin to mimic typical SEC recruiting patterns. Nothing will change at Arkansas except the style of football they play. The demographics will remain the same, though.
Just my opinion.
I think Bielema will fit in perfectly with SEC recruiting. At Wisconsin he didn't exactly go digging for white players to fill skill positions. He's caste all the way, only using whites for "caste approved" positions, such as O-line. Take a look at the white running back threads that document many outstanding all-state white RB's from the state of Wisconsin that were not even given a sniff from the U of W, instead lavishing scholarships on correctly-pigmented ball carriers.

Highlander

Mentor
If I remember correctly, Wisconsin was one of the most White-friendly teams in our 2012 write-ups.

No doubt he's hard-Caste about the running back position and DB's as well (although he did give a scholarship at the Safety position to a White player, Matt Hubley, for the 2013 class.)

However, he has been fair at the WR position (starting Frederick, especially), and the other positions.

It's also interesting how White WR prospect, Drew Morgan, just accepted a scholarship offer from Arkansas to play for them (according to "white defensive back"...which can be confirmed at Rivals.) He accepted the offer on Dec. 3rd, two days ago. Hmmmm.

I could be wrong, but I still expect a slight uptick in White players playing for Arkansas in the future.

referendum

Mentor
I would argue that Bielema only half operated the caste system at Wisconsin. I say this because he played lots of whites on defense, though not the secondary. I would argue that the entire defense is a whites forbidden zone, especially in the SEC, and if he even ended up starting two or three whites on defense at Arkansas that would be a huge difference of course to other SEC teams.

I agree with those saying this will be interesting to watch. Arkansas is a program that is very caste-system-oriented overall, but will put some white safeties and defensive linemen on the field when others in the SEC will not. I think Bielema is in for a recruiting culture shock. Nothing in his past has prepared him for the Memphis slave market.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
When Matt Jones played for Arkansas I went out of my way to watch their games when I could, not just because Jones was such a great player but because there were a number of White starters on the Razorbacks then, about 9 usually, including 3 to 4 on defense. So maybe Bielema will at least bring the program back to that demographic level.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the jury is still obviously out on Bielema's philosophy now that he's coming to the SEC (see Urban Meyer's horrid transformation if you think the past is prologue.), however early indications are somewhat positive.

although the current recruiting class for the Razorbacks is far darker than i would like, Bielema has actually done something no Razorback coach in recent memory has done: reach out to a handful of in-state White players.

during his first few days on the job, Bielema contacted several in-state White athletes at "black" positions (which in the SEC is every position except o-line and quarterback), including safety Alex Brignoni, tight end Hunter Henry, linebacker Brooks Ellis, and athlete Drew Morgan. while Brignoni, Henry, and Ellis had already committed to Arkansas, it's nice to see Bielema confirm that they're still wanted (he withdrew offers to several previous targets, i've read). additionally, he specifically targeted Morgan, calling him a "stud."

the local fish wrap has also written recruiting "reports" indicating that Arkansas is pursuing several other White wideouts. (for reference, off the top of my head i can only recall two White wide receivers being offered scholarships in the last decade.)

in the 2013 class, highly sought after wideout/sprinter Devon Allen has been offered a scholarship and is said to be a priority target. with Arkansas' track program, perhaps the Hogs have a real chance of landing this speedster.

in the 2014 class, three White wideouts are apparently being considered (though none have been offered yet). Trey Quinn (6-foot-3, 4.39 in the 40) of Lake Charles, LA has been mentioned several times on the boards, and the Hogs are said to be high on him. Brannon Barry (6-foot-4, 4.41 in the 40) of St. Charles East, IL is also said to be a guy they are seriously considering. a third name in this class is Mikey Henson (6-foot-3), who i don't know much about. he's from Kansas.

if any of these names get an offer from Arkansas, it will be a surprise, since the Hogs of recent vintage want Whitey to either be in the stands spending money or on the sidelines as a walk-on tackling dummy. hopefully, Bielema's experience at Wisconsin (Swan, Abbrederis, Frederick, etc.) will encourage him to continue offering opportunities to White kids at the skill spots.

Riddlewire

Master
He had nothing else to do. No bowl to prepare for. That's the only reason he dipped his toe in the recruiting waters. After signing day, he will turn everything over to his assistant coaches, which is the way recruiting is usually done by most teams. And the history of most of his assistants is even worse than Petrino's. That offensive tandem he yanked out of Tennessee is the same duo who stuck a seven-black offensive line on the field. Probably the first time that ever happened in FBS history. He hired two black coaches with "Southern Florida recruiting ties". No mystery how they're going to go about their business. And he retained Taver "20 Yard Cushion" Johnson to coach the secondary.
He'll get no grace period from me. Until I see quantifiable demographic improvement at Arkansas, Bielema is the same villain as the rest of the head coaching fraternity, as far as I'm concerned.

Good afternoon gentlemen. I am new here but have been following this site for quite a good long while now.
In regard to Arizona wr/athlete Devon Allen.... I believe his interest is in a college is predicated on playing football AND running track. I believe I last read Allen was looking toward UCLA or Stanford but knowing the success of the Arkansas indoor and outdoor track squads I would be inclined he may take a look at them. If I recall Arkansas has a ton of caucasian depth in the 200 and 400 meter sprints.
Allen is a fine 100 meter runner but his meal ticket is probably going to be in the hurdles or decatholon. Cheers.

-Vanilla-

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as usual you made some very astute points, RW. hopefully we'll be surprised in a good way, but history says we likely won't ...

VIB, welcome to the boards. if Allen is truly wanting to play football AND run track (as he has indicated), then he could do far worse than Arkansas. their track program is second to none. and you are correct about their White speed in the 200 and 400. they have a couple of nationally elite decathlon men, as well.