2011 Division III Championship Game

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
ESPN2/3 will carry the game at 7PM Eastern time. Mount Union vs. Wisconsin-Whitewater in their 7'th straight D-III Stagg Bowl. Both teams have won 3 titles during the past 6 years. I watched these teams play each other a couple of times during the Nate Kmic/Justin Beaver era. After a quick look at both teams, I'm pulling for UWW as they appear to be the Whiter team overall.

Sadly, both teams are going caste at some of the skill positions, as Mount Union is lead in rushing and receiving by black imports. Their 2nd leading receiver is A.J. Claycomb, who has 49 catches for 680 yards and 3 TDs on the year. QB Matt Piloto has thrown for 20 TD and 2,068 yards on the season. RB Blair Skilliter is second in rushing yardage with 80 runs for 547 yards and 7 TDs, and leads the team in KRs with 12 for 248 yards. The second leading KR and PR is White DB Tyler Alwardt. RB Jake Simon also gets some carries, with 79 for 524 yards and 6TDs on the season. Both White backs look to be at least as productive than their black starter, if not more so.

On the defensive side of the ball, Mount Union is lead by White DB Nick Driskill, who has 105 total tackles, 6.5 sacks, 17 TFLs, and 4 INTs. Hispanic LB Jorge Carbonell is third on the team in tackles. DL Frank Orteca is 5th. There are 10 Whites in the top 15 defenders for Mount Union.

UWW also has a black starting RB, but QB Matt Blanchard is an effective runner, with 86 runs for 440 yards and 2 TDs. He has also thrown for 2,755 yards and 23 TDs this season. UWW is dominated by Whites when it comes to receiving, with their top 5 receivers being White men. The number one target is 6-2 WR Tyler Huber, who has 75 catches for 1,209 yards and 10 TDs. WR Luke Menzel is second with 43 grabs for 595 yards and 2 TDs. WR Cory Robinson is third with 24 for 334 and 3 TDs. TE Jason Ford is 4th with 28 for 248 and 2 TDs. FB Bernie Tamsett is 5th in receiving with 20 catches for 148 yards and 5 TDs. WR Zach Howard is the leading returner with 17 for 359 yards.

On defense, UWW is lead by LB Kyle Wismer with 65 tackles and 4 TFLs in 13 games. LB Greg Arnold has 64 tackles and 7.5 TFLs in just 11 games. LB Ryan Cortez has 59 total tackles, 11 TFLs, and 3 INTs, while DB Noah Timm has 52 tackles, 2 TFLs, and 7 INTs. DB Ryan Wenkman has 62 tackles, 1.5 TFLs, and 6 INTs. Whites make up the top 7 defenders and 12 of the top 15 for UWW.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Just in case anyone cares, UWW won 13-10. It was a defensive struggle for much of the game, although some of the White receivers had good games. I'm thrilled that White dominated teams are playing for the D-III title, but it still stinks to see these teams getting darker.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Three years in a row Whitewater has won! I know there has been talks of them moving up to Division two, in my opinion that would be awesome to have another school in Wisconsin that can offer its athletes scholarships.