2011 Arkansas State Red Wolves

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Here are the white starters for new coach Hugh Freeze's Red Wolves this year. Derek Lawson will hopefully play, despite the attempts of his coach (Offensive coordinator last year) to bench him. Hopefully, Lawson will have a great season and tear up the Sun Belt. Taylor Stockemer is also a great target for QB Ryan Aplin, and hopefully will put up some good numbers this year. The OL situation is a bit muddled, but these are my best guesses for right now.

Offense
QB- Ryan Aplin
RB- Derek Lawson
WR(slot)- Taylor Stockemer
LT- Kevin Galindo
C- Tom Castilaw
RG- Cliff Mitchell - in a fight for the position

Defense
MLB- Nathan Herrold

Last edited:

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
There have been 7, 8, 7, 6 and 6 White Indians since '06. I do hope Derek Lawson gets to run the ball a lot this year. Time will tell. It would also be great to see another 1-2 Whites on the offensive line. Maybe ASU's numbers will change for the better by the first few games.

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Riddlewire

Master
Jack Lambert said:
Derek Lawson will get another shot after the last coach, Steve Roberts screwed him over.

I can't really agree with that.
Freeze was forced on Roberts. It's Freeze who didn't want Lawson anywhere near the field (he even said as much with his Fisher DeBerry-esque statements about needing more speed). But Roberts was mostly still in control last season and kept Lawson RB1. However, with Freeze running the offense, Aplin (who stinks) led the team in rushing attempts (even though Lawson still led in rushing yardage).
Freeze wants to be Appalachian State. He wants to fire the ball on the quick slants/outs as fast as possible and, if that's not open, he wants the QB to run. End of offensive playbook.
Neither Lawson nor Stockemer did much of anything in the Spring Game. I'm not expecting either to see a lot of action throughout the season.

Riddlewire

Master
Taylor Stockemer has been demoted from his wideout position to the slot.
They threw it more to the slot last season, anyway, so that's not necessarily a bad thing. But I suspect Freeze is just trying to help mighty-mite Dwayne Frampton build his NFL resume. In which case, Stockemer will continue to be ignored.

Riddlewire

Master
Arkansas State hires Gus Malzahn.

With this being Malzahn's first ever head coaching gig in college, I hope he remembers from his high school days in Arkansas that you can be a champion with white players (as he was multiple times). There are a lot of great white football players in Arkansas who are perpetually passed over by the Razorbacks, the Indians/Red Wolves, and even Clint Conque's UCA teams (him especially). Malzahn has very little excuse to pursue those Florida affletes since they wouldn't attend a Sun Belt school, anyway. He'd just be picking the leftovers from the bones after the BCS schools got through. And there's no way that any 1 star brutha from south Florida is better than a 5 star from Greenwood, Arkansas.

Gus, I recommend that your first stop be to Greenbrier to visit Neal Burcham. And with as much as your offense typically throws and/or pitches the ball to runningbacks, you better find yourself a couple who can hang onto it. Hugh Freeze certainly didn't recruit any.