2010 Tennessee Volunteers

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
From ESPN

Tennessee sophomore fullback Channing Fugate had three 1,000-yard rushing seasons in high school, won the starting job midway through last season and still hasn't carried the ball in a game. Vols coach Derek Dooley raved about Fugate's maturity. "What I was surprised at was he wasn't coming to me and saying, ‘I want the ball.'"¦I sat there and purposely didn't give him the ball just to see if he would ever come and he didn't. Then, I decided we should probably give him the ball."Â￾ Plays for Fugate are being designed.

Geez Fugate sounds like a talent, but I wish more of our elite athletes would speak up and declare their abilities!Edited by: celticdb15

Highlander

Mentor
celticdb15 said:
From ESPN
<div></div>
<div>Tennessee sophomore fullback Channing Fugate</font> had three 1,000-yard rushing seasons in high school, won the starting job midway through last season and still hasn't carried the ball in a game. Vols coach Derek Dooley raved about Fugate's maturity. "What I was surprised at was he wasn't coming to me and saying, ‘I want the ball.'"¦I sat there and purposely didn't give him the ball just to see if he would ever come and he didn't. Then, I decided we should probably give him the ball."Â￾ Plays for Fugate are being designed.
</div>
<div></div><div>Geez Fugate sounds like a talent, but I wish more of our elite athletes would speak up and declare their abilities!</div>
What a prick. How's that for leadership? Isn't it the coach that's supposed to be proactive and determine who should play and "get the ball" because of their abilities? Is that not his decision to make? He calls it "maturity", which is only partially true. It's also being respectful...Fugate being respectful to the authority of a coach. After all, it's a coaches responsibility to make decisions like these, not a players. Dooley is the one that showed immaturity as well as disrespect toward Fugate. He's probably so used to the other "real" athletes on the team constantly bombarding him with requests to get the ball that he figured that was normal behavior. Well it may be for those "real" athletes, but not for Fugate and the countless others just like him that are all but ignored in the recruiting process or playing time.
Edited by: Highlander

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
After this, Dooley drops down a few more notches in my eyes. Pathetic way to "lead" a team but I do wish White players would be more assertive.

whiteCB

Master
We've said it over and over again on these message boards: open your mouths white athletes!! These guys need to learn some self initiative and speak their minds. Things are not always handed or offered to you, one needs to speak up and be heard!