2010 MLB Draft

Highlander

Mentor

white is right

Hall of Famer
What's amazing about this pick is that the Expos/Nationals kept this pick in the past they were so tight they usually traded the top pick for a late first round pick to save signing bonus money. By the way does he have wheels? He played catcher in college.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
Congratulations to the Pirates on taking Texas HS pitching stud Jameson Taillon with the #2 overall pick. Many DWFs were calling for Miami HS SS Manny Machado to be the choice, but the Bucs went for the great pitching arm, despite the risks.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
white is right: I think Bryce Harper will be fine in the OF. If he can keep his ego in check, I bet he will be a solid OF with awesome power production at the plate.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
The Nationals seem to have gotten with the program for the most part. They realized that talented players with an interest in the game, if not a passion for it, are the way to go to build a winning club.

They need more Adam Dunn and Ryan Zimmerman types on the big league club.

They will find out from today what they have with Stephen Strasburg and probably in 2-3 years what they can start to get with Bryce Harper.

It's a shame for their fans that they spent several years with a bunch of criminal afflete-types like Elijah Dukes before getting the picture.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
white is right said:
By the way does he have wheels? He played catcher in college.

i'm not a baseball guy, but i've heard it said repeatedly that Harper is a five-tool player. that means he has a lot of speed. the other four tools are: hitting for power, hitting for average, throwing ability, and fielding ability.

i've often wondered why Harper played catcher , since that rapidly destroys a player's running ability.

also, if i recall correctlyHarper skipped two years of high school to enroll in a JCso he'd be eligible to enterthe Bigs earlier.

Truthteller

Mentor
I think it's great that Harper is moving to the outfield. No need for a talent like that to take a constant beating behind the plate. Dale Murphy, Craig Biggio and others moved awayfrom catcher and thrived as hitters.....I'm absolutely convinced that Minnesota is using Nick Punto/Brendan Harris (2B/super utility types) at third, instead of signing (or trading for)a big time bat, because they are planning to move Mauer to 3rd....Problem is Mauer doesn't really want to move.

Also, keep this in mind: While Pudge is the Nats current C. The future belongs to Derek Norris**, who's just exploded since being drafted a couple years ago. Most scouts rated him the #2 prospect in the Nats' organization (only behind Strasburg) and he's considered one of the top backstops in the minors.....I hope, however,he can bounce from a recent scare -- he got beaned in the head a few weeks ago and has missed quite a bit of time. The injurymight costthe 21 year olda chance to move up to AA this season
smiley18.gif

** http://natsinsider.blogspot.com/2010/02/q-with-derek-norris.htmlEdited by: Truthteller

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Good point JC. I like Harper playing anywhere except catcher. It will increase his production and prolong his career.

The Nationals are quickly becoming one of my favorite National League teams. They have a solid core of young players. SPs Strasburg and impressive before injury Jordan Zimmermann, RPs Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard, 3B Ryan Zimmerman, SS Ian Desmond, OF(?) Harper and above mentioned C Derek Norris. Plus they should retain veterans Willingham and Dunn. They also have the young, veteran closer Matt Capps. They could deal him for other needs if they feel Storen is the closer of the future.

Truthteller

Mentor
Freethinker said:
Good point JC. I like Harper playing anywhere except catcher. It will increase his production and prolong his career.

The Nationals are quickly becoming one of my favorite National League teams. They have a solid core of young players. SPs Strasburg and impressive before injury Jordan Zimmermann, RPs Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard, 3B Ryan Zimmerman, SS Ian Desmond, OF(?) Harper and above mentioned C Derek Norris. Plus they should retain veterans Willingham and Dunn. They also have the young, veteran closer Matt Capps. They could deal him for other needs if they feel Storen is the closer of the future.

Freethinker, during a recent Mets/Nats game, NY announcer Keth Hernandez mentioned how much Ian Desmond looked like Derek Jeter. I had to agree with him.

Freethinker

Hall of Famer
Truthteller said:
Freethinker said:
Good point JC. I like Harper playing anywhere except catcher. It will increase his production and prolong his career. The Nationals are quickly becoming one of my favorite National League teams. They have a solid core of young players. SPs Strasburg and impressive before injury Jordan Zimmermann, RPs Drew Storen and Tyler Clippard, 3B Ryan Zimmerman, SS Ian Desmond, OF(?) Harper and above mentioned C Derek Norris. Plus they should retain veterans Willingham and Dunn. They also have the young, veteran closer Matt Capps. They could deal him for other needs if they feel Storen is the closer of the future.
<div></div>
<div> </div>
<div> </div>
<div>Freethinker, during a recent Mets/Nats game, NY announcer Keth Hernandez mentioned how much Ian Desmond looked like Derek Jeter. I had to agree with him.</div>

Yes, I am aware he is some sort of mix. I was simply mentioning young guys with talent that the Nats can build around, regardless of race.

Van_Slyke_CF

Mentor
I thought about doing a racial breakdown of the draft, but it seems too difficult to find one site where I can easily go through the pics, especially for needed eye tests.

If someone knows of one with pics for all the players for 50 rounds, I'll give it try, though.

My impression is that because this was a draft rich in HS pitching, especially righties, the picks I did see photos and vids on for the early rounds seem to be mainly white, with a sizable number of Hispanics, and few blacks.

I'm hoping I'm correct and there will be plenty of white players entering the minors this year because we all know how "Hispanicized" MLB farm systems have become for a bunch of years now.