2009 Rice Owls

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Rice has been up and down Caste-wise the last few years, going from 14 white starters in 05', to 8 in 06', to 10 in 07', to 11 in 08'. They are without Chase Clement and James Casey, so it will be interesting to see how they do this year. The good news is that the defense has whitened up and now has 2 white DBs!

Offense
QB John Thomas Shepherd or Ryan Lewis or Nick Fanuzzi
TE Taylor Wardlow
RT Tyler Parish
LG Jake Hicks
LT Scott Mitchell

Defense
LE Scott Solomon
NG John Gioffre
SLB Tanner Shuck
KAT-Travis Bradshaw
FS Andrew Sendejo

Edited by: Colonel_Reb

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Im expecting Rice to be alot whiter in the next couple of years and definitely a team to root for! In their 2009 recruiting class they signed two white wrs in Klein Kubiak(Gary Kubiak's son) and Andre Gautreux. They also signed two white dbs in Turner Petersen and Paul Porras. Most of their Lb and line guys lok to be white as well! They have signed rb Andy Erickson for their 2010 class already! HEre is his Espn profile. Granted it isnt much but it has a pretty decent highlight reel of him! http://insider.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?recruitId=97966&season=2010&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fncf%2frecruiting%2ftracker%2fplayer%3frecruitId%3d97966%26season%3d2010.
Not to mention they have stud Sam McGuffie waiting in the wings to put on a show!

green fire317

Banned
yeah i wish that Sam could play this year. i hate the transfer rules of the NCAA and how you have to sit out for a year.

SteveB

Mentor
I mentioned this in the Miami thread.
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/college/rice/6590328.html

Miami QB heading to Rice
By SAM KHAN JR. Copyright 2009 Houston Chronicle
Aug. 27, 2009, 11:11PM

The Rice Owls' quarterback situation has been the talk of fall camp. Now it appears there's another reason to pay attention to the signal callers.

Former Miami Hurricanes and Rice Consolidated quarterback Taylor Cook plans to transfer to Rice and join the Owls next week, Cook's father Robert confirmed on Thursday.

Taylor Cook, a redshirt freshman who received his release from Miami on Tuesday, toured the Rice University campus on Thursday and visited Owls practice. Robert Cook said Taylor hopes to be enrolled and in class by Monday or Tuesday.

"It's closer to home and closer to family for him,"Â￾ Robert Cook said. "This is a good program that the coaches have put together.

"We've followed coach (David) Bailiff's career for a long time. He's not only a good coach but a good people person."Â￾

Taylor Cook was a standout at Rice Consolidated High School, taking the Raiders to the Class 2A semifinals with a 13-2 record in his senior season while throwing for 1,598 yards and 19 touchdowns. The 6-7, 235-pound redshirt freshman will have to sit out one season per NCAA rules.

The Owls have five quarterbacks: senior John Thomas Shepherd, sophomore Nick Fanuzzi (who transferred from Alabama before the 2008 season), redshirt freshman Ryan Lewis and freshmen Taylor McHargue and Michael Poytner.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Rice should be poised for a bowl game within the next two years!

SteveB

Mentor
celticdb15 said:
Rice should be poised for a bowl game within the next two years!

I think they should be poised for a bowl game this year. They did win the Texas Bowl last year over Western Michigan, 38-14.

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
Sorry Steve i should have been more specific. A more highprofile bowl and breaking into the top 25
smiley1.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i just thought i'd throw this out there since it popped into my head this evening when i realized Nick Fanuzzi was Rice's quarterback.

it was developments surrounding the brother of Rice starting quarterback Nick Fanuzzi that finally convinced me that i wasn't crazy ... that there WAS deliberate refusal to play White kids at certain positions in college football. it was proven to me then, that there was a caste system. i didn't know it had a name at that point, but i realized that it was real. and that it was widespread.

you see, his older brother, Matt, was a phenomenal cornerback. i even showed his highlight tape to the recruiting coordinator of the Arkansas Razorbacks who was very, very, veryimpressed (he literally sat with his mouth open and said nothing except, "Damn." over and over again.) ...

that is, until he realized Fanuzzi was White.

you undoubtedlyknow the rest of the story.
smiley7.gif