2008 Utah Utes

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the probable starting white Utes for 2008. Again, not counting Polynesians this year. Still, Utah is down.

Offense

WR Bradon Godfrey

TE Colt Sampson

LT Zane Beadles

LG Caleb Schlauderaff

C Zane Taylor

RT Dustin Hensel

Defense

RE Paul Kruger

MLB Mike Wright

jared

Mentor
Watching the Michigan-Utah game... that backup QB on Utah Corbin Louks really has some wheels. Team site says he's third fastest guy on the team and runs a 4.42!

celticdb15

Hall of Famer
How did shakerin fare??

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sausan has not played to this point in the season. I think, especially with the way the other RBs are playing right now, Sausan will be redshirted.

Riddlewire

Master
I'm watching the Dodgers/Cubs game with my father, and we turn it over to the OSU-Utah game on Versus for a moment. I can't recall his exact words, but it was something like, "That must be every single black person in the state of Utah". The Utes do look strangely darker than I remember them from the Michigan game, but it might just be spray tans and low lighting.
Anyway, the point was an interesting one. On Fall Saturdays in Utah, a high percentage of the state's black residents (including temporaries) are probably confined to a handful of football stadiums. The situation is undoubtedly more extreme in North Dakota and Montana.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Utah has as many or more polynesian players than blacks. Several western teams are like that, but Utah is darker than last year.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i, too, thought Utah looked darker than i remembered them from years past. in fact, i didn't see a single white defensive back in the game. and the only white wide receiver i saw was Bradon Godfrey.

of course, Godfrey was incredibly clutch. after ignoring him for most of the game, johnson found him twice on the game-tying drive in the final few minutes, including a 25-yard touchdown. then Godfrey got open again on third and long to earn a first down on the go-ahead drive to win the game.
smiley32.gif
perhaps johnson should look for him more often.
smiley2.gif

speaking of johnson, despite all the hype he gets during a telecast i've only seen him play well in one game; the big bowl win a couple of years ago. every other time i've seen him on tv, he's looked very inaccurate, he holds the ball too long, he stares down receivers before throwing (which leads to frequent interceptions), and he isn't fast enough to run (despite being affletic, of course). i don't understand the love he gets. or maybe he just doesn't play well when he's on tv...Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I don't understand the loveJohnson gets either Jimmy, except that he is ablackletic QB.
smiley36.gif
He has never lived up to the hype. The media mindset out here seems to be much like the opening salvo from a famous WWE "rassler" a few years back. "Finally, The Johnson has come back..............to the grid.....iron!"

I mean they act like the opposing team is in trouble whenever this guy touches the field. It really is pathetic. A lot of national trends begin and end later in the intermountain west, and the blackletic QB is one of them. Hopefully it will end soon, except for maybe up in Logan where theylove having theirblack QBs almostas much as they love losing. I'm glad to see that Sean Setzer has been playing a lot this year though. He's the first white QB they've had getting decent PT since I've been out here. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Big win over Oregon State for the Utes. The Mountain West went 6-1 against the PAC 10 this season, certainly good news for us.

I don't think Utah will be a BCS buster this year, however. At least one or two conference losses are likely and that will put them out of consideration, since the MWC isn't a "power" conference.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, I think Utah will get beat by BYU and maybe Texas Christian. It just might come down to the "Holy War" in SLC for the MWC title and a BCS game though. If BYU keeps winning, I think they might have a BCS title shot, but I'm not sure about Utah.

Riddlewire

Master
"Freshman running back Sausan Shakerin led all rushers with eight attempts for 49 yards and two touchdowns for the White team."

Although they didn't specify, it seems that the White team was the second unit. Shakerin will most likely be a backup this season. He's such a big guy, though. He might get the dreaded "fullback" label.