2008 Northwestern Wildcats

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the likely white starters for 2008.

Offense

QB C.J. Bacher
WR Andrew Brewer
WR Eric Peterman
WR Ross Lane
LT Al Netter
LG Keegan Kennedy
C Ben Burkett
RG Joel Belding
RT Kurt Mattes

Defense

SS Brendan Smith
FS Brad Phillips
DE Kevin Mims
DT Adam Hahn
DT John Gill

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, great news jared! I had no idea the Wildcats were 4-0. I hope they do even better next year. Its about time they had some good things happen to them. They are usually among the whitest Big 10 teams and the only private member of that conference. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

jared

Mentor
They're 4-0 for the first time since 1962. Not that I expect the trend to continue, their schedule gets much harder from here on out.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
wow! i didn't know they were doing that well. that is awesome! best of luck to them in the future.

Northwestern has seemingly played more whites at the taboo positions than most BCS schools. am i the only one who thinks their stringent academic demands are a cause for that?

Jeff Backes, i recall, was a truly phenomenal corner before injuries ended his career a few years ago. he was an incredible athlete. he became a doctor as i understand, so he wasn't too shabby off the field, either.
smiley32.gif

tippycat

Jeff Backes started his career as a runningback and as typical with white runningbacks was switched to defense.

I agree with your statement regarding stringent academic requirements. Stanford, imho the toughest academic shool in the BCS, will welcome a white runningback, Gebhart, Vardell, there was a runningback named Brad Musser{sp} that had a nice career with the Bears.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
wow! am i the only one who thinks their stringent academic demands are a cause for that?

No sir. A year or so ago, whenever it was that I learned that Northwestern was private, it all made sense. I have always been a fan of Northwestern's uniforms, but the last couple of seasons I've been pulling for them to do well. Its nice to see them have a great start to the season, even if it doesn't last, as jared mentioned.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Northwestern has always had hurdles when it comes to player recruitment because of their academic requirements. The most famous fairly recent graduate was the former host of American Gladiators Mike Adamle who was a former Chief and Jet backup tailback. Also the last "true" white tailback Sean Bennett played for them.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Their RB, Tyrell, is likely out for the season after having wrist surgery.

Probably won't mean anything for White players, but we'll see.

White Power

Mentor
I think Northwestern starts a white running back today because of injury. I don't know which one however it will be interesting to how productive the player is because of how white the position will be at the school for years to come.

backrow

Hall of Famer
all three of impact players presented by ESPN 2 on Northwestern Offense were white: QB Kafka, WR Eric Peterman and WR Ross Lane!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, thats the first time I've heard of that happening this year. I think the impact player thing stinks by the way. Just another slap in the face of linemen.

Riddlewire

Master
"Redshirt freshman Alex Daniel added 70 rush yards and two touchdowns on 10 carries."

From their Spring Game.
Though he was second in rushing behind their new #1, converted WR Jeravin Matthews. Considering that Northwestern's offense is a pretty diverse spread, there ought to be carries available for multiple backs next season.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Alex Daniel's a good player, but I think Trumpy has the ability to be REALLY special. I hope Trumpy plays as a true freshman, but I am doubtful Northwestern will have whites as the top two on the depth chart.
smiley7.gif

Riddlewire

Master
Well, here is the ESPN writer's blurb after the Spring Game.
"The 5-11, 170-pound Matthews might not have the size to be an every-down back in the Big Ten, but his speed has to be maximized this fall. Daniel brings a little more bulk and could emerge as more of a featured back. But Northwestern likely will use a combination of Matthews, Daniel, junior Stephen Simmons and possibly an incoming freshman."
Although he doesn't mention whether he just pulled this out of his own butt or if that's what the Northwestern coaches told him.
Jeremy Ebert got good playing time for them last season as a true freshman and he excelled. So I certainly think the Northwestern coaches are willing to give Trumpy a chance. Although the new Big 10 coach's handbook might forbid the use of a white runningback for anything more than cleanup duty.