2008 Arkansas State Red Wolves

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yes, the Indians are gone thanks to the NCAA (No Clue At All). Here are the probable ASU white starters for 2008.

Offense

QB Corey Leonard

LT Matt Mandich

LG Dominic Padrta

C Brandon Ciaramitaro

RG Mark Clemons

RT-several white players are competing for this spot. The top candidate is no longer on the team.

Defense

FS Evan Van DolahEdited by: Colonel_Reb

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Evan Van Dolah is regarded as the fastest player on the Arkansas State team, which is saying quite a bit because starting tailback reggie arnold (black) is said to have 4.3 speed...

the strange thing about Van Dolah is that he has tremendous acceleration, but doesn't have the top end speed you might expect him to. he's only run a 10.9-100 meters, and an 8.6-60 meters... he had a long jump of 21-4 in high school, though.

QB Corey Leonard is a tremendous all-around athlete, as demonstrated by his tremendous numbers both rushing and passing last season (sophomore). at 6-1, 205-pounds, he can run a 4.5-40 and cleared 6-8 in the high jump his junior year of high school.

redshirt freshman tailback Derek Lawson is expected to be the back-up behind arnold, and he's been making a lot of noise in fall camp. he set the Arkansas high school single-season rushing record as a senior (his first year as a starting tailback) with 3,090 yards. he also tallied 36 touchdowns that year.
derek_lawson.jpg

another freshman has a chance at being a contributor on offense this year... Taylor Stockemer is a 6-4, 200-pound wide receiver that ran a 4.52-40 and had a 37-inch vertical at a Nike Combine, where he was named to the All-Nike Combine Team.

taylorstockemer.jpg

Taylor Stockemer

"somehow" this BIG and FAST wide receiver from Van Buren, Arkansas (just about an hour down the road from the University of Arkansas) "didn't fit the profile" of new Arkansas head coach Bobby Petrino who repeatedly has said he targets tall and fast receivers in his recruiting...
smiley5.gif
he must mean tall and fast BLACK receivers.
smiley7.gif
Petrino didn't even look at Stockemer.

nor did most D-I schools. only 3 offered him. Air Force and Kansas being the other two. apparently, 6-4 speedsters are only of interest if they also have dark skin...

Riddlewire

Master
Although Roberts had some complimentary words for Lawson, I fear that he was just trying to pacify the home-town fans. Najel Bird has actually been getting most of the second team reps at tailback, especially lately. Maybe Derek has been injured. I don't know. But I suspect he'll spend most of his time on the sidelines this Fall.

Petrino is everything I feared. Complete Caste Whore. Before they even arrived on campus, Petrino had given starting jobs to his freshman black saviors. Screw the pigs.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
man, that is sad news Riddlewire. hopefully something good will happen to turn the situation around for Derek.

Daimon

You ought to be proud at how well the Red Wolves are doing. They are making fools of the Razorbacks performance wise. The Red Wolves could beat the hogs this year.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
you are spot on, Daimon. isn't it "funny" how all these guys weren't recruited by Arkansas yet are better than the affletes "da Hawgs" signed.
smiley5.gif

also, it appears that Stockemer is going to red-shirt. however, gifted red-shirt freshman TJ Burk has been getting a little bit more playing time of late. like Stockemer, Burk is a tall (6-2) and fast (4.5) wideout that went un-recruited by the Razorbacks. although, in Burk's case he was a running quarterback/free safety in high school.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i had the pleasure of attending the ASU-Louisiana Monroe game, and let's just say that Derek Lawson is the real deal.
smiley2.gif

he runs much bigger than his size, never seeming to go down on first contact. he has quick feet and good vision, and this is very important because in this game all his carries were designed to run between the tackles. despite that, he was able to dodge defenders around his ankles, shrug off hits up around his waist/shoulders, and pick out cut-back lanes. and then when he hits the open field, he just pulls away from guys.

he's a hell of a back.
smiley32.gif

conversely, i was VERY disappointed with Evan Van Dolah. while he clearly was the best athlete on the defensive side of the ball for ASU, he certainly didn't look like a very good football player. he doesn't have a nose for the ball, and even worse he doesn't want to hit anybody. ugh.
smiley11.gif