2007 Utah Utes

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are the non-black starters for the Weddle-less Utes this season.

Offense
QB Tommy Grady
RB Ray Stowers
WR Brian Hernandez
WR Derrek Richards
TE Matt Sims
LG Corey Seiuli
LT Zane Beadles
C Kyle Gunther
RT Dustin Hensel

Defense
DT Kenape Eliapo
DE Greg Newman
ILB Malakai Mokofisi
MLB Joe Jianonni
SLB Kyle Brady
FS Steve TateEdited by: Colonel_Reb

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, he's of a Hawaiian descent, probably mixed.

and i am not sure whether he will actually get to start.

"UTAH: Injuries have stalled his once promising career ... missed spring ball after second shoulder surgery.

2005-Re-injured his surgically repaired shoulder during fall camp and missed the season.

2004-Redshirt had shoulder surgery."

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Once again, thanks for the info JoeV!
smiley32.gif

Yes, Ray Stowers is Polynesian, but I included him because he isn't black. I only do that with a few teams, and I always designate whether the previews include whites or non-blacks.Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
good news for the speediest member (he's white
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif
) of the Ute receiving corps.

Utah football: Utah's Hernandez finally up to full speed
<DIV =articleByline><A class=articleByline href="mailto:lwodraska@sltrib.com?subject=Salt Lake Tribune: Utah football: Utah's Hernandez finally up to full speed" target="_blank">By Lya Wodraska
The Salt Lake Tribune</A>
<DIV =articleDate>Article Last Updated:08/14/2007 02:20:10 AM MDT
<DIV =articleDate>
<DIV =articleDate>The last time Utah receiver Brian Hernandez was healthy, he could run the 40-yard dash in 4.42 seconds, back in his junior college days.
The Utes don't need to put a stopwatch on their receiver to know this about him - he's fast this year, probably faster than he has ever been in a Utah uniform.
Hernandez, who arguably had the strongest spring practice of all receivers, has continued to be impressive in preseason camp with his usual sure hands and some newfound speed.
Hernandez was one of Utah's most reliable receivers the last two years despite an ankle injury that hampered him in 2005 and required surgery after the season.
Last year his recovery was slowed when he suffered a deep bruise to his quad in the season-opener against UCLA.
He had a good year, finishing second among receivers with 47 catches for 424 yards, but never felt his left leg was 100 percent between the rehab for the ankle surgery and the bruise.
Now, in his sixth year of college ball and his third as a Ute, Hernandez feels better on a football field than he has in a long time.
"Last year I wasn't in great shape; it's definitely good to be healthy," he said. "I feel like I'm faster than I've ever been."
Utah's secondary can attest to his quick feet since he has spent much of fall camp slipping away from the defenders' grasp with great cuts and bursts of speed.
"He has always been smart, tough and had good quickness," Utah offensive coordinator Andy Ludwig said. "But now his speed is showing. He is playing extremely confident and healthy and that lends itself to playing very fast."
Hernandez is part of Utah's receiving group, dubbed the "six pack," featuring Brent Casteel, Bradon Godfrey, Derrek Richards, Freddie Brown and Marquis Wilson.
"They're all different, and we try to play to that," quarterback Brian Johnson said. "Marquis and Brent are good with the ball in their hands, Bradon makes tough catches over the middle and Derrek and Brian have the speed to get outside. With Brian, I dump it off to him and watch him run. He just outruns everybody."
The ankle injury may have slowed him the past two years, but Hernandez is now finding some positives in the experience.
When his speed was taken away, the 6-foot, 183-pound Hernandez was forced to improve his game in other areas.
"I learned to be more physical with my hands and got good at the routes," he said. "Now that my speed is back I feel like I'm more of a complete player."
<DIV =articleDate>
<DIV =articleDate>http://www.sltrib.com/utahutes/ci_6618225

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Update because of injuries.

SteveB

Mentor
Utah blows out #11 UCLA 44-6. Derrek Richards is the leading receiver for the Utes with 3 for 59. Brian Hernandez gets 2 for 23. Good job Utes!!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I hope Sausan does contribute as a Freshman, because that means I will get to see him play on TV a lot. However, Utah has quite a stable of backs returning in 2008, and I think Sausan will probably get a redshirt. Of the RBs on the Utes 2007 roster who should be back next season, 3 are white.