2007 Minnesota Golden Gophers

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are my predictions on what whites will start this year in Gopherland.

Offense
QB Tony Mortensen
WR Eric Decker
TE Jack Simmons
LG Ryan Ruckdashel
C Tony Brinkhaus
RT Steve Shidell

Defense
RDE Willie VanDeSteeg
WLB John Shevlin
DT Todd Meisel
DT Eric Small

voice

Guru
I am slightly optimistic that Brewster could be a little less caste orientated than Glen Mason.

I still think he is going to go get "dynamic" wide receivers from Florida and Texas but we may see a lot more White speed players in Defensive Secondary and LB Corps because he has made it a point to visit all 360 high schools in MN and reach out to coaches. This is something Glen Mason never did.

The Gophers won't be Colorado State but might not just be white at O-line like Mason's teams were.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8190182/Former-Gopher-sen tenced-to-year-in-county-workhouse?FSO2&ATT=MA

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Former Minnesota football player Dominic Jones was sentenced Thursday to a year in the county workhouse after being convicted of criminal sexual conduct.
<DIV ="in_info__btm">

Hennepin County District Judge Marilyn Rosenbaum also sentenced the 21-year-old to a stayed four-year prison term, $1,000 restitution and seven years probation.

He will be allowed to leave the workhouse only for school or work. He must report there by July 7.

At the hearing, Jones apologized "first and foremost" to his family, friends and "anyone who was affected negatively in this situation." He said he hopes to learn from the situation and wants other students and athletes to see him as an example of what can happen.

In March, a jury convicted him of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct, which involves performing a sex act on a victim without her consent. It acquitted him on a rape charge.

Earl Gray, Jones' attorney, said he will appeal the conviction and the sentence.

Jones testified that the victim consented to the sex act in April 2007.

The victim, who was 18 at the time, testified during the trial that she drank up to eight shots of vodka with another player and didn't remember anything between when she was placed on a couch and the next morning.

On Thursday, the victim read a statement in court. She said, "I drank myself into helplessness ... but I did not ask to be raped."

She added, "Yes, I have been sexually assaulted, and no, I will never get over it."

Jones was kicked off the team after the allegations emerged. Three other former players involved in the case were never charged.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
[url]http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/8182816/Minnesota-dismiss es-kick-returner-Howell[/url]-

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Minnesota kick returner Harold Howell was dismissed from the team for academic reasons.
<DIV =in_info__btm>

Coach Tim Brewster said Tuesday that Howell was cut for violations of academic and team guidelines.

Brewster promised big things from the speedy, 5-foot-8 Howell after recruiting him out of Jacksonville, Fla., last year.

In his first season, Howell appeared in 10 games as a reserve receiver and return man. He averaged 23.1 yards on kick returns.