2005 season review: wide receivers

backrow

Hall of Famer
Wide Receivers:

Kevin Curtis, Rams: 60 catches for 801 yards, 13.4 ypc, longest catch for 83 yards, 6 TDs, 8 plays over 20, 4 plays over 40 yards</font>
comments: last 6 games he only had 11 passes thrown to him... one of the fastest and smartest receivers in NFL with great hands and yet he doesn't start...

Drew Bennett, Titans: 58-738 receiving yards, 12.7 ypc, longest catch was for 55 yards</font>, 4 TDs
comments: Mcnair's decline reflected on Drew's numbers... still the best receivers Titans have; i think we all expected more from him

Joe Jurevicius, Seahawks: 55 catches</font> for 694 yards, 12.6 ypc, longest play of 52 yards, 10 TDs</font>
comments: great season by this talented receiver with great hands and great size... funny how he went back to WR number 3 after injured jackson returned, Holmgren has Engram starting ahead of him... what else does he have to do to get to start? he was 5th in NFL in receiving TDs, had some impossible catches... i guess he is just too white for his own good (plus JJ is a great guy and example of professional athlete)

Brian Finneran, Falcons: 50-611 receiving yards, 12.2 ypc, longest catch for 53 yards</font>, 2 TDs
comments: i guess playing with football god doesn't work for Brian... he had his share of drops this season, but some in hardest situations

Brandon Stokley, Colts: 41-543 receiving yards, 13.2 ypc, longest catch for 45 yards, 1 TD
comments: i blame manning for that decline in numbers...

Ricky Proehl, Panthers: 25-441 yards, 17.6</font>; longest catch for 69 yards, 4 TDs, 3 plays over 40 yards</font>

Matt Jones</font>, Jaguars: 36-432 receiving, 12.0 ypc, longest of 42 yards, 5 TDs, 5 plays over 20 yards; 12-51 rushing, 4.3 avg;
comments: not used enough... especially during Garrard stint which came right after it seemed Leftwich was giving Matt more looks... if given the ball, sjy is the limit

Wes Welker, Dolphins: 29 catches for 434 yards and 15.0 ypc</font>; 61 kickoff returns for 1379 yards and 22.6 avg; 43 punt returns for 390 yards and 9.1 avg

Tim Dwight, Patriots: 19-332 yards and 3 TDs; 10 kickoff returns for 250 yards (25.0</font> avg); 32 punt returns for 273 yards (8.5 avg)

Dane Looker, Rams: 23-247

Chris Horn, Chiefs: 18-187

Jerhame Urban, Seahawks/FA: 7-151

Marc Boerigter, Chiefs: 8-119

Major disappointments: PJ Fleck- IR all season, Wayne Chrebet- career ending concussionç

RED</font> denotes rookies
BLUE</font> denoted career high
Edited by: backrow

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Excellent compilation of info, backrow. Thanks for bringing all these together in one place, along with your other posts of same variety.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Yeah backrow, good stuff, I read all of it, really helps me keep up with the players.
smiley32.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
no worries guys, i like to have all this info in one place as well, so might as well make it available for the Caste Football forum readers

whiteCB

Master
Come on give Bennett a break he was injured for a lot of games this year and will improve next year when Billy Volek starts.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I second that opinion whiteCB.Bennett could have gone for over 1000 yards two years in a row if he wouldn't have gotten hurt.That is really saying something considering that McNair had a horrible season!I really hope they give Volek the starting job.I just can't stand to watch (Air Ball)McNair anymore!Under the conditions,I would have to say that Bennett performed incredibly!

Kaptain

Master
A little hard on Finneran too. Two of his teammates dropped more passes (Crumpler, white). He doesn't register on the stats index for dropped passes as he has four or less dropped passes.

Good stats though, backrow.

nfl stats indexEdited by: Kaptain Poop

backrow

Hall of Famer
i wasn't all that impressed with Bennett, but i totally agree with you that QB was a huge part of his problem... and when i say i expected more of him, i mean he is a guy that never makes any excuses for himself and he wasn't all that happy with his season either... i am sure he will bounce back in 2006...
as for Finneran, of course he didn't drop as many passes as some of his teammates and caught plenty of tough ones over the middle with no fear but i just hold him to higher standard that's all...

GWTJ

Mentor
I wonder if Kevin Curtis's sudden decline this year coincided with Martz no longer calling the plays.

backrow

Hall of Famer
well, one can't say decline of someone that posted career high season... but i agree tyhat Martz would ptobably call his number a little more... part of the problem is that during Ryan Fitzpatrick's stint, he only threw to his 2 "main" guys, Brucs and Holt... either he was not capable of finding Curtis quickly enough or those two veterans "talked" him into getting them more ball...

backrow

Hall of Famer
i failed to mentioned Kevin Walter from Bengals who had just over 200 yards and 1 TD, but had what promises to be breakout game vs Steelers in playoffs (5 catches for 73 yards)

Joe Jurevicius, had a great year and is now a FA, I would love to see someone reward him with a  big offer and playing time but at 31 yrs old Edited by: hollywoodnorth1

bigunreal

Mentor
I just read on one of the fantasy sites that Brandon Stokley will serve
as the Colts' #3 WR over Troy Walters in this week's playoff game.
Honestly, it read just like that. I wonder why they didn't state that
Marvin Harrison and Reggie Wayne will be the starting WRs? Good thing
Peyton Manning is his best friend....

G

nice read. I think hopefully 3-4 white wr's will be drafted in the upcoming draft. Mike Hass, David Anderson, Ed Hinkle and Ethan Kilmer. Hinkle and Kilmer are probably stretches to be drafted though but I really like Kilmer's potential. He is the WR from PSU who had that amazing TD catch at the end of the first half against FSU in the Orange Bowl. If teams are going to draft a Devin Hester type who has no position but is regarded as an athlete than Kilmer should get a look too. He actually produced when called upon and was a walk on last year for the Nittany Lions and didnt play HS football. He also runs a reported 4.3 40 and has an over 40 inch vertical leap. Hinkle is a guy from Iowa i like, he is tough and hardnosed and would be a good 3rd reciever because he isnt afraid to go over the middle. It sucks Martz got fired because it seems like he had an affinity for white wr's. He also never had a black QB when he was with the Rams either.

backrow

Hall of Famer
just a thought of Kevin Curtis starting is amazing... this guy can go all the way to 1,500 yards with the talent and speed that he has if given enough catches...

I wonder who will get Hass, and i hope he will get a chance as 3rd WR as soon as he gets into the league...

I also hope that Harrison retires already...

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
You guys should read the article. It is both encouraging and infuriating at the same time.
smiley7.gif

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I can't wait for the nfl draft scouting combine.I would be willing to bet that David Anderson will run in the 4.35 to 4.45 range.He is very fast despite what the media says.Mike haas should run between a 4.45 to 4.5 range.Both of these guys will be stars on Sundays if given the chance.I think that Hinkel will be picked late in the draft on the second day.I'm also interested in the kid out of the Arena League,Troy Bergeon.He is another K.Curtis type and could become a star.It should be alot more fun to watch the nfl next season as long as these guys play!