2005 MLB draft

sunshine

Mentor
Figured I would start a MLB draft thread. Baseball America does a good job laying it all out. Anyway I will mainly focus on speedsters. Off California report fastest white guy is Cal Poly Brandon Roberts who runs a 6.41 60 and gets to first in 4.0 seconds from left side. Fast any way you slice it.. Problem is this OF apparently has few defensive skills. Can slap the ball around though. Probable long shot but the speed is there. In case anyone is wondering most pro NFL CB's can't run a 6.4 60. The majority would probably run somewhere between 6.6 and 6.7. A few maybe at 6.5 and only a select few at 6.4.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Wow, that's fast. So much for whites and baseball players in general being unathletic.

sunshine

Mentor
More prospects.:Ben Booker who is signed to attend Baylor runs a 6.4 60. Also T.J. Steele out of Arizona area high school runs a 6.5. And Jacoby Ellsbury from Oregon Statewho I believe is American Indian runs a 6.55. Funny thing is his teammate and less touted Tyler Graham gets to first on a push bunt in 3.5 seconds. Might be fastest college player in draft. Tommy Paterson out of Linfield college runs a 6.6. Not all of these guys are top prospects though--only Ellsbury for now.

DO not know the race of Reid Engel out of Lewis-Palmer HS in Colorado. Runs a 6.4.. If anyone knows his race please let us know. Sounds white but names of course can vary in regards to race.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Never heard of him, but I'm not big on baseball. Maybe we'll find out soon.

sunshine

Mentor
More names.OF Adam Godwin, who has been mentioned previously, is from Troy and leads nation in SB's with 84. 6.5 speed and great base stealer. OFBrett Gardner of College of Charleston is amoung fastest in entire draft. Burning speed and pro scouts like him so name to keep an eye on. Has all the sprinting measurables including 5'11 and 185. Said to have incredible explosion in legs.

Do not know race of CFRaymond Fruml out of an Iowa Community college. Anyone?

sunshine

Mentor
2more guys to think about re: speed.CF Aaron Buckley(sp) out of LeMoyne--6.5 speed and Chris Stanton a 3B out of V Tech does a 3.8 down the line on push bunts.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
The White Sox got Lance Broadway but I don't know how anyone can get really excited about the Baseball draft. I'm happy they got a white guy, but yeah it's not as exciting as the NFL draft. They usually become more of an impact player right away, rather in baseball they sit in the minors for just about ever.

sunshine

Mentor
Good news. Reid Engel the speedster out of Colorado is white. He was drafted in the 5th round by the Red Sox. He was an all stater---Rocky Mountain News.Chances are he will sign. If not he is headed to Baylor. He is a CF. We need more of these speedy CF players to advance and make noise in the majors like Pod form the White Sox.

Still working on Raymond Kruml. Not sure of his race.Drafted by Diamondbacks in 35th round.