200 times

nhl411

Guru
hey all this is probly slightly off topic here but: some of my friends and i just joined our track team at my highschool and i was wondering what a good 200 time for a highschool runner is?

SteveB

Mentor
Well it kind of depends what you consider good. I am only familiar with high school track in Texas, which has some of the fastest high school kids in the country. Typically, under 22 sec. will win or place at the local high school meets. Under 21.3 sec will win or place at the state championship level. Under 21.0 sec will put you among the top high schoolers in the country. Under 20.5 sec will put you among the very top juniors in the world.

These would be outdoor times as indoors, the 200m is a totally different race.Edited by: SteveB

nhl411

Guru
alright, thanks, tat was really helpful...it is indoors tho does that mean faster or slower times?

nhl411

Guru
hmm so like id take like a second off my time convertin it from indoor to outdoor maybe or is that way too much

bigman

Guru
..to many types and sizes of indoor tracks to make a generalization... work your ass off do alot of 200s in practice and you'll be the best you can be...that is all you should expect.

nhl411

Guru
ooo iight thanks, i was jw cuz my coach said he thought id be in like the low 2s with some training but i had no idea exactly where that stood

SteveB

Mentor
Low 22s is a good time for a high school sprinter, especially one that hasn't done a lot of training for the deuce. Work hard at all aspects of your training (weights, plyometrics, intervals) and you may progress to a level to be one of the top 200m high schoolers. Once you have mastered your running form incorporate some uphill training (increases stride length and acceleration) and downhill training (increases stride frequency) and you will see some tremendous improvement. There are some really good books on this subject, check them out.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good luck to you nhl41.Remember,everyone develops at their own rate.You may not always progress as quick as other kids but don't get discouraged.Just practice hard and the results will come.