1972 Jim Plunkett Interview

I went to my files and found the March 1972 "Pro Quarterback" Magazine. There was a lengthy interview of Jim Plunkett. It mainly dealt with his 1971 rookie season with New England. However there were a few "political" questions. Most all athletes were questioned on their "politics" during the early 70's.

The interviewer said that Joe Kapp was involved in a few "Chicano" causes, and asked Plunkett if he had been subjected to prejudice. Plunkett answered, "No, I found very few instances of that, but maybe I was naive and didn't realize it. I can't say I experienced anything. But I know prejudices exist."

Oddly, Plunkett majored in political science at Stanford and says in the interview that he might have a future in politics. I remember he campaigned briefly for Pete McCloskey, who opposed Nixon as an antiwar candidate in the 1972 GOP New Hampshire Primary. I haven't heard of any other political activity by Jim Plunkett. McCloskey's other claim to fame was as an outspoken critic of Israel.

As Don said in the other thread, Plunkett (and Tom Flores) were considered white. Plunkett started off well in New England, but got beat up and seemed to lose his confidence. He was traded to the 49'ers in 1976 and after two mediocre seasons was cut in 1978, and picked up by the Raiders. He played behind Ken Stabler for two years and became the Raider starter in 1980, leading them to a Super Bowl win. Plunkett came off the bench and was a Super Bowl winner again with the 1983 Raiders.

Overall, Plunkett had an up and down career, but came through in big games with the Raiders. He also had a great game in Stanford's win over top-ranked Ohio State in the 1971 Rose Bowl.

Plunkett's Mexican ancestry was not much of an issue during his playing days, articles mentioned his blind parents. He never claimed victimhood. When Plunkett was an established NFL starter, writers were saying, "All NFL QB's are white."

Imagine the media's reaction if Jefferson Street Joe Gilliam had done as well as Plunkett.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good stuff sporthistorian. Its always good if you can go back and get it from the "hosses mouth."

Something else about this issue of the magazine. It had feature articles on Tommy Nobis, Marv Hubbard, Ted Kwalick, plus a big story on Larry Csonka and Jim Kiick. The No.1 draft choice that year, Notre Dame DE Walt Patulski, was on the cover.

foreverfree

Mentor
Since this site is un-PC
smiley1.gif
I must ask-

Was Stanford still the Indians when "Plunk" was there, or had they already become the Cardinal? When did their name genuflect to PC?

JohnEdited by: foreverfree

Stanford dropped the Indian symbol in 1972 after protests by "Native American Students." The name "Stanford Cardinal" became official in 1981. The source is wikipedia.

They were know as the "Stanford Indians" during Plunkett's playing time of 1968-70.

foreverfree

Mentor
sport historian said:
Stanford dropped the Indian symbol in 1972 after protests by "Native American Students."

Was Stanford one of the first Indian-named schools to do this?
The name "Stanford Cardinal" became official in 1981.

By which time another qb phenom had shown up in Palo Alto. Kid named Elway. Also by then, I was attending a puny Div. II school on my native East Coast.

And that SB XV win in the 1980 season was over my Eagles.
smiley19.gif

JohnEdited by: foreverfree

Weltner

Guru
Well,they are in the San Franfreako area,the West Coast incubator of communism,and even back then,they were one of hotbeds of such PC mindsets.

Hockaday

Guru
On the nickname subject I read a while back that 75% of American Indians could care less about the so-called issue.